Students are strongly encouraged to purchase a Dell or Apple laptop from the University Computer Shop.
- These computers are discounted with academic pricing.
- All Dell computers come with up to a four-year warranty and include accidental damage.
- All Apple Macintosh computers come with a one warranty that can be extended with three years of Applecare Plus.
Our IT Technology Support Center, located in Anne Belk Hall, has certified Dell and Apple hardware technicians and can handle any repair that your computer might need during your time at App State. They can also provide a loaner while your laptop is being repaired.
*Note: Some departments have a computer requirement that is higher than what is listed below, so check your departmental website to see what they recommend.
Chromebooks are not recommended and will not meet the needs of most courses that have a computer or software component.
Minimum Laptop Specifications
If purchasing a computer elsewhere, we recommend the following specifications:
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or better or AMD Ryzen or better, apple M1
- Memory: 8 GB Minimum
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 or Mac OS 10.15.7 or higher
- Hard Disk Drive: 256 GB SSD or larger
- Display: 12 inches or larger
- 1080p Resolution or better
- Integrated graphics or discrete graphics for some depts
- Audio: Built-in audio capabilities
- Communication devices:
- 802.11ac Dual-band Wireless-AC or better