Students are strongly encouraged to purchase a Dell or Apple laptop from the University Bookstore Computer Shop. These computers are discounted with academic pricing. All Dell computers come with a three-year premium warranty. All Apple Macintoshs come with a one warranty that can be extended with three years of Applecare Plus. Our IT Technology Support Center has Dell and Apple certified technicians to assist with any warranty work and can provide a loaner to students if their computer needs repair.
If purchasing a computer elsewhere, we recommend the following specifications. Some departments have a computer requirement that is higher than what is listed below, so check your departmental website to see what they recommend.
Chromebooks are not recommended and will not meet the needs of most courses that have a computer or software component.
Minimum Laptop Specifications
- Processor: 7th Generation Intel Core i5 or better or AMD Ryzen
- Memory: 8 GB Minimum
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 or Mac OS 10.14 or higher
- Hard Disk Drive: 256 GB SSD
- Display: 12 inches or larger
- 1440 x 900 Resolution or better
- Integrated graphics
- Audio: Built-in audio capabilities
- Communication devices:
802.11ac Dual-band Wireless-AC or better
- Expansion Ports: Two USB 2.0/3.0 and/or USB-C