My Roku device is interfering with Wi-Fi, how do I disable Wi-Fi direct on it?
- Resident Halls
Roku WiFi-Direct operates on the same frequency as USD's Wi-Fi. Roku uses WiFi-Direct to connect some remotes, which utilize and broadcast on the same channel that it receives internet from. The result is that there will be interference, even on 5 GHz, causing other devices to either drop the signal intermittently or fail to connect, or lower bandwidth. Additionally, some Roku models have a feature called interference mitigation enabled by default. This technology disrupts traffic to nearby Wi-Fi access points to attempt to improve local signal. These features can affect performance of USD's wireless network for everyone.
Note: If your make or model is not listed please reference your user manual or vendors website
- Open Roku home screen
- Choose Settings
- From the System submenu, select Advanced system settings
- Select Device Connect
- Select Disable Device Connect
Now you will not be able to see the Roku Wi-Fi Direct network.
- Startup the Roku Open the home screen
- Press these 10 buttons quickly: HOME-HOME-HOME-HOME-HOME-FFWD-PLAY-REWIND-PLAY-FFWD — Note: The HOME button is the button with a picture of a house
- Select Wireless Secret Screen
- Select Interference
- Choose None
This should resolve the issue You do NOT need to reboot the Roku.
Roku Device Connect on Smart TVs and Older Roku Devices
- Open Settings screen of the Roku device
- Select System
- Select Advance system settings
- Select Device connect
- Choose Disable Device Connect