We highly recommend running an Ad-Blocker and a DNS Service on any home network and consumer devices.
These programs run in your browser and help protect you from pop ups, and ads that may be infected with viruses or malware. This can run in addition to your Anti-Virus program.
To download ublock, click here: https://www.ublock.org/
Open DNS is a service that reroutes your internet traffic through a more protected internet highway.
Technology Support Services recommends Windows Defender (Also known as Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7) to protect your PC. This software comes pre-installed on Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.
To activate on Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, you will need to uninstall all other anti-virus software and restart the machine. It should automatically begin scanning and monitoring your machine. For more information on this software, visit the Microsoft website.
For Windows 7, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials, it is essentially the same program, it just doesn't come pre-installed. Please uninstall another anti-virus software before installing MSSE. Running more than one anti-virus will affect computer performance negatively. Click the link to begin the download: Microsoft Security Essentials
Technology Support Services recommends Sophos AntiVirus Software for Mac Computers. Running multiple AntiVirus programs on your computer at a time can cause conflicts. Most issues we see on MAC computers are related to browser pop ups, sometimes re-setting the browser or running an Ad-Blocker is just as effective.
- Mac OS X 10.6 or higher
- Please uninstall any previous version of antivirus software before installing Sophos. Running more than one anti-virus will affect computer performance negatively.
If your machine is already infected
You can bring it into our Technology Support Center or run your own clean-up using the programs listed below.
Please note: These programs are not managed by IT Support, they are free downloads and we are not responsible for their content.
Clean your own Mac
Malwarebytes for MAC: malware scanner for Macs
Clean your own PC
*** Any Utilities can crash a system, Please backup before attempting.
- Rkill this can sometimes help kill the virus so you can run other things
- ADWCleaner search and then delete
- Combofix Does not run on windows 8 or 10
- HitManPro Another useful tool
- Kaspersky's TDS Killer (master Boot Record Check)
- SuperAntiSpyware Similar to Malwarebytes
- Malwarebytes Also, Tech Support's Best Friend, Don't forget to update!