Retiree Google Account Transition
All faculty and staff who wish to maintain a University email address into retirement will be issued a new email@example.com account.
Faculty and staff who have previously retired were notified on June 1, 2020, and transitioned to the @retired.appstate.edu address by January 4, 2021.
Faculty and staff who plan to retire will be notified of their new account upon filing paperwork with Human Resources.
Staff will have until the last day of employment to transition to the new account, usually about four months.
Faculty accounts will remain active past the last day of employment to allow time for faculty to apply for emeritus status.
- Applications for emeritus are due mid-September.
- If an application is received, faculty accounts will remain active past September to await final approvals for emeritus.
- Faculty members who are granted emeritus status are entitled to maintain university accounts and will not transition to the new firstname.lastname@example.org format.
- If an application for emeritus is not received the retired faculty account will be deprovisioned by late September of each year.
Follow the instructions below to prepare for account transition and data retrieval.
Step 1: Establish Your New Account
You will receive a “Retiree Email Account Welcome Email” to your current email@example.com accountthat will provide login information about your new account.
- Follow the welcome email steps carefully to log in and set up your account.
- Consider writing a short email to all of your active contacts notifying them of your address change and/or setting a vacation auto-responder in your App State account to notify your friends, family and contacts that your email address has changed.
Step 2: Transfer Personal Data
Move saved personal files, pictures or other electronic information from your current firstname.lastname@example.org account to your new email@example.com address.
Please allow several days to complete the following steps/procedures.
- Transfer Personal Emails:
- Transfer Personal Drive Files
- Transfer Google Photos
- Transfer Contacts
Step 3: Update Connected Personal Accounts
Update personal accounts connected with your current firstname.lastname@example.org email address to your new email@example.com address.
Services may include:
- credit cards
- retirement information*
- online retailers (Amazon, Apple)
- electronics registration and/or applications (mobile phones, laptops)
- social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc)
- and many others
Get more information about managing Google products and third-party applications that may be linked to your Google account.
*If your current address is associated with retiree benefits carriers and you need assistance updating your contact information, please contact the Office of Human Resources.