Updating Preferred First Name
Preferred First Name Initiative
The Office of the Provost recently announced the Preferred First Name initiative by the Registrar’s office for our students. This initiative allows students to indicate a preferred first name that will display on selected pages accessible from the Faculty Services and Advisor menus.
Information about the Student Preferred first name initiative can be found here:
A similar initiative has been initiated for faculty and staff. Faculty and staff have the ability to indicate a preferred first name that will display in the online directory (within 24 hours) and the Global Address List (GAL) in Mountaineer Apps.
What is a Preferred First Name?
A name by which you choose to identify yourself within the University community that differs from your given/legal name. This should be the name that you regularly use in the performance of your job (for example, if you regularly use your middle name, rather than your given first name).
Legal names will continue to be used for certain university records, documents, and business process where use of legal name is required by law or university policy. (i.e. tax forms, pay stubs, insurance forms)
Where will my updated Preferred First Name appear?
Currently the Preferred first name will update in the Online Directory (within 24 hours) and the Global Address List (GAL) in Mountaineer Apps (within a few days).
Please be aware of the following for the display of your preferred first name in Mountaineer Apps (Google):
- Your preferred first name should be reflected in Google within a few days.
- If you have a Google Plus profile, the name you have set in the profile will override any other names set elsewhere in Google. (What is Google Plus?)
- If someone has your name as anything different in their contacts or address book, this may prevent them from seeing your new preferred first name.
- If you have changed your settings for “send mail as”, and it is different than your preferred first name, this will also override your preferred first name in any email you send.
How do I change my Preferred First Name?
To review, edit or provide your Preferred First Name, please follow these instructions:
- Login to the Web Self Service Login Page
- Select the Personal Information tab
- Click on Preferred First Name link
- Review the Preferred First Name on record, make edits or enter a new Preferred First Name in the field provided.
- Click the Update Preferred First Name button if you made an edit or provided a new name.
If you have any questions, please call our Help Desk at 262-6266
*changing your preferred first name is only applicable to Appalachian State University records and services and does not mean that your legal name has changed elsewhere.