Managing a Google Group
To manage a Google Group, be sure you already have a Group created. If you do not, follow this guide to request a Google Group in the Appstate Domain: http://support.appstate.edu/answers/requesting-creation-google-group. Once you have a Google Group created, see instructions below on roles, general information, basic permissions, moderation, and managing membership to your group.
Google Group Roles
Each Google Group has 3 roles: Owner, Manager, and Member. Please do not change the permissions associated with each role, but feel free to add additional managers if needed. By default, a Help Desk account is added as a Manager of each Google Group in order to provide better support. Additionally ITS is set as the Owner of each group.
Where do I Manage my Google Group
Login to MountaineerApps and then click on the the grid in the upper right corner and select Groups. Alternatively, you can go directly to Google Groups by navigating to groups.google.com in a web browser.
Click My Groups and then select the group you want to manage in the list of your available groups.
Note: If you do not see your groups, you may have to select where it says "switch your organization view to: appstate.edu" before continuing.
Once on the group, click Manage in the upper-right corner. You will see a list of management options on the left.
Confirm General Group Information
From the Manage menu on the left, click Information > General Information. This will display your Group name, Group Email address (e.g., group-[name]@appstate.edu), and your website URL.
Complete the Group Description at this time.
If appropriate, set your Posting Options to allow people to post (i.e., send messages) by email and/or on the web.
Setting or Modifying Permissions
From the Manage menu on the left, click Permissions > Basic Permissions to adjust these settings:
How to Change
Choose who can read your group’s posts
All Members of the Group
Click Select group of users drop-down and pick an option.
Choose who can post/send messages to the group
All Managers of the Group
Join the Group
Choose who can become a member of the group.
Anyone in the Organization
New Member Question
Automatically ask a question to the people seeking to join your group
No new member question
This is only available if Anyone in the Organization can Ask to Join the Group; Just type a question in the box
- To edit settings for Adding Members, Approving Members, Approving messages, Banning Users and more. Click Permissions > Moderation Permissions.
Note: Only Managers and Owners can perform these actions by default.
Changing Other Email Options
From the Manage menu on the left, click Settings > Email Options. Under these options, you can:
- Add a prefix to the subject line of all group posts
- Add any information you want in the footer of each message posted to the group. We recommend that you select “Display how to post to this group by email” and “Display how to unsubscribe from this group by email”.
Adding and Managing Members
From the Manage menu on the left, click Members. Under this section, you have these options and more:
- Invite members - allows you to send someone an invitation to be a member of your group.
- Direct Add members - This allows you to directly add someone to your group without sending them an invitation. You can set their Email subscription option to Digest Email, All Email, Abridged Email, or No email. Warning: Do not add people this way unless they have already agreed to be in your Google Group.
- Advertise your group - you can invite people to join your group with a link. This example is a link for a group named BEST: https://groups.google.com/a/appstate.edu/forum/#!forum/group-BEST
- Join Requests - if your group is set up so that people can ask to join, make sure to regularly view the join requests section and approve any users that have requested to join.
- Remove a Member or a Manager - select All members, then check the box by their name. In the menu buttons at the top, select Actions > Remove from group or Remove from Role.
To make one of your members a fellow Manager, from the Manage menu on the left, click Roles > Roles > Manager > Add members and selecting the member you want to make a manager and Add. Make sure to select Save for the role change to take effect.
Set Welcome Message for New members, and any Email Options:
Click the Group name in the upper left corner and then click "Add Welcome Message".
Type your welcome message in the field then click "Save" to share this message with new group members
- Invite People to Your Group
- Add and Accept Members into Your Group
- Turn on Message Moderation
- Moderating Pending Posts