Filelocker is a web based secure file sharing application that facilitates easy file sharing between users promotes secure data sharing habits. Filelocker allows the sharing of files both inside and outside Appalachian State University. This is a web-based secure file sharing option using https encryption for confidential data.
To access Filelocker, go to https://filelocker.appstate.edu. Login in with your ASU username and password.
1. Click the “Upload” button located near the top of the “My Files” page.
2. When the pop-up box appears, you may select an expiration date, add notes to the file, and scan for viruses.
3. Finally, click "Browse and Upload" to select a file from your computer to upload to your Filelocker files page with the options you previously specified.
4. You should now see you file listed in the “Uploaded Files” section of the interface. The file can now be shared (see below).
Share Files with Other Campus Members
1. Select the file you would like to share in the Upload Files area of the My Files page, and then either click the filename itself or the blue downward-facing triangle to the far right of the file.
2. Click the Share This File button.
(Note: Select the Notify Me on Download option to receive notification when recipient downloads the file.)
3. You will next be prompted to specify a user with whom to share the file.
4. You can search for users in the ASU directory by typing in either their username or their first and last name (as they would appear in ASU records) in the search space.
5. Once you have selected the user to share the file with, click on the Share button to complete the process. By default an email notification will be sent to this individual indicating that you have shared a file with them. If you would rather the email not be sent you can uncheck the “Notify via email” checkbox.
Share Files with External Recipients (aka “Public Share”)
1. Select the file you would like to share in the Upload Files area and then either click the filename itself or the blue downward-facing triangle to the far right of the file.
2. The file will be highlighted and a blue drop-down menu will appear. Click to select the Public Share option.
3. Select any desired options and then click the Share button. (Note: When sharing with more than one individual, you must make sure that the Allow multiple downloads option be selected.)
1. Click on the “Request Upload” button.
2. Input a request expiration date, the email of the individual you are requesting the file from, you may also specify an upload password if desired.
(Note: If you need several files from this individual or multiple individuals please select allow multiple uploads). Click on “Create Request” to finish. An email will be sent to the individual you indicated asking for them to upload a file to your ASU Filelocker Account.
If you have any questions, feel free to submit a request at support.appstate.edu/help, or call the Help Desk at 262-6266.