We highly recommend running an Ad-Blocker on any computer you are working with.
AdBlock or AdBlock Plus are two we recommend. These programs run in your browser and help protect you from pop ups, and ads that may be infected with viruses or malware. This can run in addition to your Anti-Virus program.
To download AdBlock(free edition) click here: https://getadblock.com/
Technology Support Services reccommends Windows Defender (Also known as Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7) to protect your PC. This software comes pre-installed on Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.
To activate on Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, you will need to uninstall all other anti-virus software and restart the machine. It should automcatially begin scanning and monitonring your machine. For more information on this software, visit the Microsoft website.
For Windows 7, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials, it is essentially the same program, it just doesn't come pre-installed. Please uninstall an other anti-virus software before installing MSSE. Running more than one anti-virus will affect computer preformance negatively. Click the link to begin the download: Microsoft Secuity Essentials
Technology Support Services reccommends Sophos AntiVirus Software for Mac Computers. ClamXav is another AntiVirus Program that works relatively well with Mac computers. Running multiple AntiVirus programs on your computer at a time can cause issues, so choose only one to install. Most issues we see on MAC computers are related to browser pop ups, soemtimes re-setting the browser or running an Ad-Blocker is just as effective if not more so than the programs below.
- Mac OS X 10.6 or higher
- Please uninstall any previous version of antivirus software before installing Sophos. Running more than one anti-virus will affect computer preformance negatively.
- Mac OS X 10.4 or higher
- Please uninstall any previous version of antivirus software before installing ClamXav. Running more than one anti-virus will affect computer preformance negatively.
If your machine is already infected:
You can bring it into our Technology Support Center or run your own clean-up using the programs listed below.
Please note: These programs are not managed by IT Support, they are free downloads and we are not responsible for their content.
Clean your own Mac
Malwarebytes for MAC : malware scanner for Macs
Clean your own PC (run in Safe Mode with Networking) --- Press F8 when your system starts)
*** Any Utilities can cause BSOD, Please backup before attempting
- Rkill this can sometimes help kill the virus so you can run other things
- ADWCleaner search and then delete
- Combofix Tech Support's Best Friend
- Junkware Removal Tool
- HitManPro Another useful tool
- Kaspersky's TDS Killer (master Boot Record Check)
- SuperAntiSpyware Similar to Malwarebytes
- Malwarebytes Also, Tech Support's Best Friend, Don't forget to update!
- CCleaner Clean temp files, go ahead and choose everything but wipe disk space. This will delete any saved online info including passwords. Don't forget to go into settings and check the box, delete files less than 24 hours old. Cleaner Tutorial and CCleander Enhancer tutorial